Buy Fresh at the Market from our Growers & then try these recipes!
1/2 cup of milk
1 ripe banana
5 ice cubes
11/2 tsp. sugar ( optional)
Combine strawberries, milk, banana and ice. Blend until perfectly smooth. Add Sugar if you like and Blend for 1 minute.
makes approximately 32 oz.
Yield: 32 0z
less than 1g total fat
less than 1g saturated fat
less than 1 mg iron
79.71U Vitamin A
less than 1mcg Vitamin B12
13.2mg Vitamin C
13.1U Vitamin D
Chicken Salad with Hakurei Turnips and Raisins
2 cups diced chicken
6 small Hakurei turnips (salad turnips), diced
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
1/4 tsp ground coriander, ground cumin, or curry powder
1/2 tsp Texas Pete
salt and lots of black pepper
Mix all the ingredients together. Let the salad rest for at least 1/2 hour to allow the flavors to bind.
Fresh Strawberry Jam
Standing Time 30 minutes +
Servings: 6 Cups
4 cups (1L) crushed Ontario Strawberries
2 3/4 cups (650ml) sugar
1 pkg fruit pectin crystals
Recipe from Ontario Berry Growers Association
Wash and hull berries, crush one layer at a time. Measure into large bowl. Measure 1/4 cup of sugar and combine with fruit pectin crystals. Gradually stir into fruit. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gradually stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups sugar & continue string for 3 mins. Pour into scalded jar. Cover with tight lids. Let stand at room temperature until set; may take up to 24 hours and then store in freezer. If using the jam within 2 weeks, you can store it in the refrigerator.
Garlic Scape Pesto Recipe
From LOVE Garlic
1 cup chopped garlic scapes (10 – 14 scapes)
1/3 cup walnuts (lightly toasted optional)
Juice of one lime
1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
Blend everything but the olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender. Slowly drizzle in the oil with the motor running, and blend until smooth. Taste and add coarse salt and pepper as needed. Use on brushetta, pasta, eggs, foccacia, and just about anything grilled like shrimp, salmon or chicken.
From Lisa and Bart at LOVE Garlic
Venison Braised In Guiness With Vegetables
From Black Willow Elk Farm
2 lb of Venison Stew Meat
Salt & pepper
3 Tbsp Canola oil
3 oz piece of bacon
1 onion, peeled chopped
2 large carrots, peeled & halved lengthwise
2 celery stalks with leaves
1 large orange
440ml can of Guinness
10 oz pkg pearl onions
2 parsnips, peeled
4 tsp butter
1 tbsp sugar
6 green onions, finely sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Pat dry the meat and season with salt and pepper
3. In Dutch oven heat 2 tbsp oil over med-high heat. Add venison in batches & brown on all sides. Transfer to plate
4. Lower heat & add 1 tbsp oil & bacon. Cook, stirring 7 scraping bottom of pan until bacon begins to pop and renders some of its fat. Add chopped onion to pot. Cut carrot into ½ “slices and celery into 1″ slices. Add to pot with garlic and cook until onions are slightly softened, 3-5 minutes.
5. Using vegetable peelers, remove the zest from the orange in wide strips, add to pot and then pour in Guinness. Bring to boil, deglaze by scraping browned bits from bottom of pot.
6. Add browned venison to pot along with juices. Cover with wet piece of parchment paper, then with lid & cook for 1 hr 15 minutes.
7. While venison is cooking, bring small pot of water to boil, add pearl onions & simmer for 3 minutes then drain and rinse under cold water. Peel skin from onions, leaving root intact. Cut parsnips into 2 x 1/2″ sticks. Cut the zested orange in half and juice 1 half keeping the other half.
8. Melt butter in fry pan over medium heat, add sugar and peeled pearl onions & sauté until they begin to caramelize. Add parsnips and juice to pan and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze pan. Season with salt & pepper.
9. Add pearl onions & parsnips with all juices to venison and cook uncovered for 45 minutes or until meat & vegetables are tender.
10. Juice the remaining orange half & add juice and green onions to the venison. Serve in wide bowls with crusty bread.
Elk Medallions With Sauce
From Black Willow Elk Farm
3-4 Elk Medallions
1 tsp prepared mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups cherry wine
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup minced shallots
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp minced rosemary
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ cup sweet cherry jam
1. Place the wine, cream, shallots, garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer the sauce for 20-30 minutes until it has reduced in volume by half and the vegetables are tender.
2. Pour the sauce into a blender and puree for several minutes until it is very smooth.
3. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Return to sauce pan and add jam.
4. Bring back to a boil and stir constantly for several minutes until thick
5. Barbeque the medallions over high heat until medium rare
6. Remove from heat and serve with sauce accompanied with your favourite vegetables
Spicy Meat Loaf
Randy’s Favourite! From Leitch Honey
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup chili sauce
6 Tbsp. milk
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
In medium bowl, beat egg slightly with a fork. Add ground beef, bread crumbs, chili sauce, milk, onion, salt, pepper and paprika. Blend together. Turn into a greased 8 x 4 x 3 in. loaf pan. Combine remaining ingredients and spread on top of meat mixture. Bake at 350oF for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
Makes 6 servings.
From Randy Leitch at Leitch’s Honey
Oven-Grilled Pork & Veggie Wraps
3 Ontario pork chops (loin, sirloin or rib), boneless
1 Green Pepper cut into strips
1 Red or Orange Pepper cut into strips
2 Portobello mushrooms cut into slices
1 Red Onion cut into wedges, separated
2 Zucchini thickly sliced
2 tbsp (30ml) Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp (15ml) Olive oil
½ tsp (2ml) Italian seasoning
2 tsp (10ml) Crushed red pepper flakes
4 10 inch Large whole-wheat tortillas
¼ cup (50ml) Spreadable reduced fat cream cheese
Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray. Trim any visible fat from pork chops. Arrange chops and vegetables in a single layer on baking pan. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Brush mixture on both sides of pork. Broil 5 to 6 inches (13-15 cm) from heat for about 6 to 10 minutes, or until pork is browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Meanwhile spread each tortilla with a layer of cream cheese. Remove pork from oven and slice into strips. Divide pork pieces and vegetables among tortillas; wrap tightly before serving
Nutritional Information (1 wrap): 378 kcal, 14.3 g fat, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fibre, 24 g protein, 604 mg sodium